1/5/13

The Holidays



Every year. You don’t have to do a thing. One day you walk in to a store, wearing you spring/autumn coat, and there they are…pepernoten (Dutch traditional cookies that we eat during our Santa celebrations) and not long after that…Christmas decoration. December.
 As a single women my favorite time off the whole year. You know why. Because everyone will turn up their heater, light the candles and cuddle up together on the couch.
From my point of view every couple and family is happy together during this whole month! Yes, the whole month. And me…I’m home alone, the whole month.
Off course I know this isn’t thru!! And it’s commercialized by the shop-entrepreneurs. And off course I’m not alone at all. Because I have a very rich circle of friends around me! So you could actually say that someone in a relationship, without my friends, without being able to do whatever they want to do, but with all the complains that come with a relationship and the in-laws is way poorer then I am. Speaking in Christmas terminology.

Oow one week there will be a blog about the pro’s of not having a relationship. Because I’m not the only one that makes my friends smile. They certainly also make me smile with all their relationship battles.

Right, back to my favorite month. I have spend a lot of Christmases’ and new years with friends having a blast together. But there have also been those ones that I was dating somebody.
·         There is the one that I was spending the Holidays back in Ireland. Back in the days without internet. I just started dating a guy back at home. So I was texting away a phone bill as high as the amount of presents there where underneath the Christmas tree. Or actually as high as the value of all the presents underneath the tree. At that time I didn’t saw it as a waste of money at all. Nooo, it was totally worth it. Every single text was valuable.
·         Ow let’s not forget the one when i was living in Scotland. There I experienced the ultimate lonely feeling. I spend the whole Christmas on my own. No family. All new gained friends and project, where with their family. But I did make myself a rocking Christmas dinner and boxing day I walked around town being amazed by the queues outside the stores that started their sale. New year I spend with a colleague. We where mend to go to the famous street party. The Scotsmen that I fancied was also going there. But due to the weather it got canceled. For the first time in years and years. So I ended up spending new years in a jam packed pub and my colleague’s house cuddling away. Men, I cuddled. I just couldn’t let go… of the toilet pot. That sick I was from all the whiskey (ok, and vodka). But the best part of all was the Christmas party at the big hotel with my roommate. There was traditional dancing, traditional food and all the guy’s where wearing their quilt.
I loved the Scotsmen in their quilts. And they, they love the crazy Dutch girl who was biking around town with a bike-can filled with vodka.
·         There was the one that I was dating this guy who (said that he) really liked me, but he didn’t want to spend new year’s eve with me.  I didn’t last long after that. No, because it was to expensive to call me from this land far away where he was for work. When I’m good enough to hang out with and sleep with but I’m to expensive to spend a phone call on, then you know where to find the door.
·         There was the one with the guy who wanted to spend a lot of money on a really nice dinner with me. But a few days before that I found out he was cheating on me! Again, you know where to find the door.
·         Let’s not forget the one that I met on new year’s eve. I went to a theme party in a bar. The theme was whores and pimps. At the end of the night everybody was going for it. There was a lot of hunting going on. This guy was fun so we hooked up. It lasted for a little while but not until the next new year’s.
·         There was the one in Sydney. I was dating a Englishmen. He was really, really nice and full of me. But he just arrived and came to travel the country. And I guess…their where so many fish in the coogee-pond, I couldn’t concentrate on one. So I set him free.
·         But let’s save the best for last…The one that I really loved and duped me just before the holidays.

But this year they are over and done with. I, again, had a lovely time with friends and family.
And now..up to the next year…


Ow and to set our expectations strait: my blogs won’t always be this long. Some will be long and some will be short. Just so we know.
Hope you had fun reading this one!



D5P9XBEUDNMD


1 comment: